How to flash the firmware of iPhone
By Steve Lowry 2018-10-25 61048 0
1. Download and install iTunes
iTunes is apple's video management and playback software. Of course, it can manage iOS devices, backup data and restore devices.
2. Download the corresponding iPhone firmware
Please note that find the corresponding iPhone model when downloading iPhone firmware version (You can search the iPhone firmwares on the internet). In the process of update, iTunes needs to verify the machine model and firmware version, and then it can be performed flash operation.
Beta firmware version is designed for developers or public test firmware, so it is not recommended for regular users.
3. Method 1: shift + Check for update / Restore iPhone
Connect iPhone to PC / Mac with a cable
When the driver update is completed, the iPhone will vibrate and emit prompt tone. After successful connection, iTunes will prompt to allow access to "iPhone" information. In the meantime, after removing the screen lock, please tap "trust" on the iPhone. Then the iPhone information can be read and managed in iTunes.
In the iTunes - iPhone interface
PC： Press "shift" button and click "Check for update / Restore iPhone" at the same time.
Mac: Hold the "option" button and click "Check for update / Restore iPhone".
Select "update" to save internal user data in the iPhone.
Select "restore iPhone" will erase all data in the iPhone.
When it pops up "select the firmware", please select the firmware you downloaded. Click ok and star to Check for update / Restore iPhone. Wait for a few minutes until the iPhone finishes the restoration, you can use it normally once it is connected to the internet and activated.
4. Method 2: recovery mode / DFU mode
It is applicable for who forgot the password or the iPhone is deactivated, iPhone cannot enter the system, iPhone cannot power on, etc.
DFU mode: the full name of DFU is Development Firmware Upgrade, which is actually the forced upgrade and downgrade mode of iPhone firmware.
Recovery mode: in the recovery mode, it will display the iTunes and cable icons on the screen.
The biggest difference between iPhone recovery mode and DFU mode is whether the iBoot is activated. In recovery mode, the system uses iBoot to restore and upgrade the firmware, while in DFU mode, the system does not activate iBoot, so you can degrade the firmware in DFU mode (if the firmware does not turn off validation).
How to enter the Recovery mode and DFU mode
● The iPhone 6s and previous models go into "recovery mode".
1. Turn off the iPhone, press and hold the home button for 3 seconds to connect it to the PC / Mac.
2. Then hold the home button and the recovery mode appears. (iTunes icon is displayed on the screen)
● The iPhone 6s and previous models enter the "DFU" mode
1. When the iPhone is connected to a PC / Mac, hold the power button and the home button at the same time.
2. Release the power button when the iPhone's screen is off after three seconds.
3. iTunes will prompt "detect an iPhone is in recovery mode".
● The iPhone 7 goes into "recovery mode"
1. Turn off the iPhone, press the volume down button for 3 seconds, and connect it to the PC / Mac.
2. Then press the volume down button and the recovery mode appears. (iTunes icon is displayed on the screen)
● IPhone 7 models enter "DFU" mode
1. When the iPhone is connected to a PC / Mac, hold the power button and the volume down button at the same time.
2. When the iPhone screen is off for three seconds, loosen the power button (but don’t loosen the volume down button).
3. When the iTunes prompt "detect an iPhone in recovery mode", loosen the volume down button.
● IPhone 8 / iPhone X models go into "recovery mode" "operation
1. Press the volume up button, then press the volume down button, then press the power button.
2. After the screen is black, press the volume down button and the recovery mode appears (the iTunes icon is displayed on the screen).
● The iPhone 8 / iPhone X models enter the "DFU" mode
1. Press the volume up button, then press the volume down button, and then press the power button.
2. Release the power button after the screen get black.
3. Hold the power button and volume down button for 5 seconds at the same time.
4. Then release the power button, and hold the volume down for 5 seconds.
5. Enter the DFU mode.
ITunes pops up recovery window, click "ok".
PC: hold "shift" button and click "Restore iPhone".
Mac: hold down "option" button and click " Restore iPhone" at the same time.
When it pops up "select firmware", then select the downloaded firmware. Click "ok" and start updating. Wait for a few minutes until the iPhone finished the restoration, you can use it normally once it is connected to the internet and activated.
5. Matters need attention
● Please backup your iPhone data before update.
● Do not disconnect iPhone during the update process!
● If you forget your Apple ID and password and turn on "find my iPhone" function, please stop updating.
● If there is an unknown error, please replace another computer, or cable, or update it next time.
|You may also want to read:|
|How does facial recognition on iPhone X actually work?|
|How to use phone hotspot on Android iPhone & WinPhone?|
|iPhone vs Android – Touch ID vs Fingerprint scanner|
|5 best Qi wireless chargers for iPhone X|
2017-03-16By GB Blog Official
2018-01-17By Adeline Belluz
2017-04-27By Zim Watson
2017-11-17By GB Blog Official
2018-07-03By GB Blog Official
2017-11-24By Adeline Belluz
Next article:How to choose a suitable tablet PC