What is your phone's IMEI code for and how do I get it?
By Linky Johnson 2019-04-17 3289 0
What is an IMEI code?
The IMEI (or international mobile equipment identity) is the number that can be used to identify mobile equipment (mobile phone or Tablet using the cellular network). It consists of 15 to 17 digits and it is a unique identification number: each mobile has its own code. The IMEI is like your phone's ID card. It is better to keep it in a safe place and not lose it because it can be very useful.
What is the purpose of the IMEI code?
Mobile operators use the IMEI code to allow (or not) access to their network to mobile devices (smartphones or tablets).
IMEI, a code needed to unlock your mobile
The IMEI code is required to unlocker or unblock a mobile phone. Indeed, if you have purchased your phone with a mobile plan with commitment, it is quite possible that it is locked on the network of the operator who sold it to you. In this case, your mobile will ask you for a network unlock code when you insert the SIM card of an operator using another network. To retrieve this unlock code, you will need to communicate the IMEI number of your phone to the operator to whom you purchased your mobile.
Once your phone is unlocked, you can use it on the network of any operator, in France and abroad.
The IMEI code, indispensable to block your mobile phone
The IMEI code will also be very useful if your phone is lost or stolen as it will allow you to block the use of your phone on all mobile networks.
So when you declare the loss or theft of your mobile to your carrier so that it suspones your line, making the SIM card unusable, you can take advantage of it to ask it to block your mobile phone. Just pass it the IMEI number of your mobile. Once your phone is blocked, no SIM card, no matter which operator or network you use, will be able to operate in your mobile.
Warning: this action is irreversible, if you find your phone, you will not be able to use it either.
Where to find the IMEI code of your mobile phone?
● The first solution to get the IMEI code of your mobile phone is to type the following code on your cell's keyboard: * #06 #. The IMEI code will then automatically appear.
● Otherwise, the IMEI code is usually indicated on the box that contained your mobile phone or in the back of the cell battery, but still need the battery to be accessible (which is not the case of the iPhone for example).
● You can also find the IMEI code of your mobile on the purchase invoice, if you have not discarded it.
● You no longer have the mobile phone and the box and the invoice remain untraceable? No panic: some mobile operators have access to the IMEI code of the last phone used with your mobile plan. You can ask your operator to provide you with this information.
To avoid getting there, it is highly recommended to retrieve the IMEI code of your mobile as long as you have it handy, note it and keep it in a safe place (not in your phone so) in case your mobile phone is lost or stolen.
|You may also want to read:|
|How to use IMEI number to track your lost Android phone|
|How to find the IMEI number of Xiaomi smartphone|
|How to use MI Cloud to find your lost Xiaomi phone?|
● Over 300,000 products
● 20 different categories
● 15 local warehosues
● Multiple top brands
● Global payment options: Visa, MasterCard, American Express
● PayPal, Western Union and bank transfer are accepted
● Boleto Bancario via Ebanx (for Brazil)
● Unregistered air mail
● Registered air mail
● Priority line
● Expedited shipping
● 45 day money back guarantee
● 365 day free repair warranty
● 7 day Dead on Arrival guarantee (DOA)
2020-12-01By Cheryl Evans
2019-08-26By Joe Horner
2017-04-27By Zim Watson
2019-08-21By Sigismondo Eisenhower
2018-04-24By Matthieu Andre
2017-11-24By Adeline Belluz
Prev article:How do I find my device's IMEI number?