Lenovo ZUK Z2 - outstanding 5 inch flagship with Snapdragon 820
By Linky Johnson 2017-05-02 5630 92
Build and Design
ZUK Z2 offers an enjoyable compact design, the hand feeling is great and the dual glass panel is also very impressive.
● Compact 5 inch size. Large screen phones seem like a popular trend - and I admit that it's been a long time since I left my 5 inch screen phone behind. When I first laid my hands on the "small screen" ZUK Z2, it dawned on me: this may just be the perfect phone for me as it fits nicely into my palm (unlike the large screen monsters I've developed a habit for). The long-forgotten convenience of operating a smartphone with one hand quickly won me over. The phone's body is narrowed to a thin 68.8mm and presents you with a feeling of total control.
● Dual glass panel. The ZUK Z2 uses a dual glass panel - a pleasant surprise and a nice chance for me to check out my hair in the back panel just like through a mirror. The phone uses a 2.5D curved screen and high-strength glass fibers for a sleek and elegant design. The only drawback is that the screen can get easily smudged - so it's important to keep it clean.
● Clear beautiful screen. The ZUK Z2 has a 5 inch FHD screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution and 414 ppi which make the screen's color more clear and real. What's more, you can personalize the screen color temperature which offers better eye protection for you. Brightness can be improved to impressive levels. Images look sharp, colors are replicated well and legibility in sunlight is excellent.
● Customizable home button (U-touch 2.0).The ZUK Z2 follows the signature ZUK design with its U-Touch Button right below the screen: a clever combo of a home, back and multi-task button.It also works as a fingerprint scanner - and I find its location at the front of the phone much more convenient than at the back.
As I explore the smartphone more, I discover some nice shortcuts. Swiping the home button from right to left takes you to the last-used application, while swiping from left to right takes you in the opposite direction. This allows you to multi-task and toggle between apps without having to drop back to Android's dedicated active app screen (which is accessed by double-clicking the home button if you wish). You can also customize certain actions: pressing home twice, long pressing home and long touching home. You can see the screenshots below:
● Type-C port. The ZUK Z2 uses the latest Type-C port for fast data sync and stable charging.
As for hardware performance, ZUK Z2 is equipped with powerful Snapdragon 820 which surpasses most 5 inch smartphones at this price.
● Make the best of the quad-core Snapdargon 820 64bit processor. Overall, the ZUK Z2 boasts top-grade performance as expected of a flagship. The phone is powered by three processors: CPU, GPU and SPU. The Snapdragon 820 sports a Hexagon 680 SPU (independent DSP chip) letting the phone have functions like pedometer working independently from the CPU with super low power consumption. Below, you can see the AnTuTu test result - a score of 133,280 is very high considering the price. Check out the scores for 3D, UX, CPU and RAM as well.
● The ZUK Z2 is equipped with 4GB RAM and 64GB internal storage which ensures multi-tasking functions and larger file storage needs for users.
● Something I found a little bit disappointing is the lack of NFC support, thus Z2 cannot handle Google's new Android Pay contactless payment service. It also means that you can't pair devices this way or quickly exchange data.
ZUK Z2 developed the most stable and friendly operating system for Lenovo ZUK fans. After upgrade and optimization, ZUI 2.0 is now waiting for us.
● The ZUK Z2 runs ZUI 2.0 OS based on Android 6.0 OS. It comes with a simple and clean interface - in the best of ZUK traditions. You can easily access the pre-installed U-Health app for fitness tracking with functions like Pedometer, Heart Rate Monitor, SpO2 and others. If this is your first time using a ZUK phone, you will need to create an account to use the app.
● The phone's operating system is fluent, with no lagging - thanks to Z2's high-end performance and optimization. A nice feature is the auto-cleaning function that clears the cache and rubbish files allowing for more storage. Take a look at more interface pictures below.
● Google Play Store support is included, so grabbing Apps like YouTube, Google Mail and Google Drive Drive and other apps and new games won't be an issue. As is often the case with Android, it's relatively easy to flash the official Chinese ROM. What's more, ZUK Z2 has its pre-installed APP Center where you can also download apps and games.
Despite Lenovo ZUK Z2's slim frame, it has a large capacity 3500mAh battery which can last for more than a day of standard use. More still, the phone comes with a dual chipset and supports Qualcomm's Quick Charge 3.0 - letting you refill the juice quickly and easily - you can fully charge your ZUK Z2 in under 90 minutes with a dedicated charger.
The camera performance of ZUK Z2 meets the mainstream needs, it's a great partner when you are travelling around and also must-have for selfie-lover.
● The front camera is 8MP and offers great selfie quality. The rear cam is not convex, but flat - in line with the phone's overall slim and smooth design. The camera comes with PDAF (Phase Detection Auto Focus) and offers a dual LED flash - perfect for taking clear photos in bad lighting. The back cam is 13MP and sports a Samsung image sensor with an aperture of f/2.2. Check out the photo sample below.
● Surprisingly for a phone in this price bracket, optical image stabilization is present, reducing the impact of hand movement on your photos. The overall operation is very convenient and interactive. It supports HDR, panoramic view, slow motion, quick action shots.
ZUK Z2 supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac wireless internet. It also supports the latest VoLTE technology and uses dual Nano SIM design to support two SIM cards and dual Standby. This means that you can enjoy fast connection and have two numbers and accounts on one phone.
The ZUK Z2 has won me over with its compact screen, powerful hardware and smart software. With so much competition around, the phone really stands out thanks to its Snapdragon 820 CPU. The ZUK Z2 is a clever cost-effective choice - especially when you can get it now at the flash sale price of just 189.99 dollars on Gearbest!
2018-06-06By GB Blog Official
2019-11-27By Joe Horner
2019-05-25By Jordan Hobbs
2019-11-27By Sophia Windsor
2019-06-12By Adeline Kuang
2019-11-12By Joe Horner
Next article:Xiaomi Selfie Stick | Tripod with Bluetooth remote